The Paralegal will use independent analysis, creativity and authority to research law and factual background, investigate facts, draft pleadings, conduct discovery, support trial teams, and assist attorneys throughout all stages of litigation by performing the following duties:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following, as well as other duties, may be assigned:
- Draft legal documents such as pleadings, discovery deposition summaries, records summaries and subpoenas for review, approval, and use by attorney
- Investigate and research facts to prepare case
- Research and analyze legal resources such as statutes, recorded judicial decisions, legal articles, treaties, constitutions, and legal codes
- Interview witnesses and assist in gathering relevant client documents
- Liaison with client, relevant custodians, attorneys, and eDiscovery department to manage electronic evidence
- Manage service of subpoenas, trial notices, pleadings, discovery, and other litigation-related documents
- Coordinate and work with outside vendors as approved by attorney
- Assist in the drafting of Motions for Summary Judgment and/or Adjudication by creating tables for Separate Statements, organizing relevant exhibits
- Schedule and prepare attorneys for depositions by organizing exhibits, performing searches on electronic documents for relevant information, creating deposition outlines, and organizing witness appearances
- Prepare cases for trial by drafting trial notices, preparing trial exhibits, coordinating witness appearances, organizing expert records and reports, drafting jury instructions, and assisting attorneys with trial presentation
- Independently direct, coordinate and supervise activities of other employees including legal secretaries, records personnel, and services clerk on complex projects
- Perform paralegal-level document review to identify potentially relevant case documents
- Record billable time on client matters; knowledge of ABA billing codes is preferred, but not required
EDISCOVERY AND LITIGATION SUPPORT TECHNOLOGY
- Support attorneys and clients throughout the eDiscovery processes and coordinate projects broadly distributed along the EDRM
- Experience with or the ability to become experienced in eDiscovery review platforms
- Assist attorneys with navigating eDiscovery software coding panels and tagging documents for use in depositions, motions, and trial
- Participate in industry-specific organizations and stay current with developments in eDiscovery and litigation support
Directly supervises employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/ OR EXPERIENCE
Paralegal Certificate from an ABA Approved Paralegal Program; College or University completion with prerequisite legal experience; or, Attorney Attestation of Completion of Law-Related Experience in accordance with B&P Code, Section 6450 et.seq. to be designated as a paralegal in California. Bachelor’s degree from a four year university is preferred.
Applicants must be up to date with their required MCLE credits, as mandated by California Business and Professions Code 6450 et. seq. Training in eDiscovery basics, project management, and/or databases is not required, but preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common legal, medical, scientific and technical resources, financial reports, internet research and legal documents. Verbal and written communication should be exemplary. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to supervising attorneys, clients and opposing parties.
A strong applicant will have the knowledge base to leverage technology to create a more efficient practice and streamlined case management process. Computer experience with Lexis/Westlaw, Juris (or other equivalent billing software), Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft\Excel is required.
Applicants who have experience with Trial Director, Sanction, or other trial presentation software are strongly preferred. Experience with an eDiscovery review platforms, such as Relativity, Summation, Concordance, or Ipro is also highly preferred, but not mandatory.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compare rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to define problems, perform independent analysis, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Ability to cope with job stress. Ability to get along with clients and coworkers. Ability to effectively work with others as part of a coordinated team to accomplish job tasks. Ability to regularly appear for work on time. Ability to accept constructive criticism regarding how job performance may be refined or improved.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Due to the time constraints associated with the nature of litigation and the competing priorities of the organization’s workload, this position is regularly required to deal with strict deadlines requiring increased efficiency and, at times, may result in increased stress. This position requires independent authority in the management of multiple projects and may require work in excess of forty (40) hours per week.
Please e-mail your resume and a list of three professional references to Klinedinst Recruiting at email@example.com. No communications from recruiters, please.