The Jr. Litigation Paralegal will use independent analysis and creativity in researching law and background investigation. Prepares documents to assist attorneys by performing the following duties:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following, as well as other duties, may be assigned:
- Research and analyze legal resources such as statutes, judicial decisions, legal articles, treaties, etc;
- Prepare and draft legal documents such as briefs, pleadings, discovery, record summaries and subpoenas;
- Investigate and research facts to prepare case accordingly;
- Prepare summaries and organize document files for discovery and trial;
- Interview witnesses and prepare memoranda;
- Provide case management and organization from inception; discovery, trial and post trial support. Review and analyze documents for production;
- Prepare and process pre-trial and document subpoenas and coordinate complex discovery on cases;
- Provide courtroom support during trial;
- Direct, coordinate and supervise activities of legal secretaries, records clerks, and services clerk on complex projects;
- Record billable time on client matters; and
- Travel to all five locations as needed to perform the above duties.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Multi-tasking, strong organizational, written and verbal communication skills, excellent team player and the ability to work under pressure required.
EDUCATION AND/ OR EXPERIENCE
College or university paralegal program certificate; or Attorney Attestation of Completion of Law-Related Experience, (B&P Code, Section 6450 et.seq.). Experience working in a litigation environment including thorough knowledge of the litigation process, advanced understanding of the technology supporting litigation efforts, including strong knowledge of e-discovery best practices, and electronic court filings required. Must be proficient with Microsoft Office. Working knowledge of Lexis and Westlaw for research of witness location, etc. Must posses the ability to import/export/ and convert data utilizing a variety of software packages; must be skilled working with outside vendors. Working knowledge of electronic data collection, processing and productions required.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common legal, medical, scientific and technical resources, financial reports, internet research and legal documents. Verbal and written communication should be exemplary. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to supervising attorneys, clients and opposing parties.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compare rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to define problems, perform independent analysis, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Due to the time constraints associated with the nature of litigation and the competing priorities of the organization’s workload, this position is regularly required to deal with strict deadlines requiring increased efficiency and, at times, may result in increased stress. This position requires independent authority in the management of multiple projects and may require work in excess of forty (40) hours per week.
Please e-mail your resume and a list of three professional references to Klinedinst Recruiting at email@example.com. No communications from recruiters, please.