The Records & Office Services Clerk will maintain firm case files in accordance with file procedures and support the various office services functions by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following, as well as, other duties that may be assigned:
- Review to sort documents according to file system. Verify accuracy of material to be filed and classify material when classification is not readily discernible;
- Place documents, forms, or other materials in storage receptacles such as files, or boxes according to filing system. Insert additional data in file records, keep files current, and supply information from files;
- Prepare and update file index sheets to list and organize file contents using computer and word processing software;
- Load, retrieve and maintain electronic documents in the Depository;
- Provide customer service to firm employees and clients to search for and investigate information contained in files. Deliver and pick-up files from within the office upon request;
- Keep records of files removed from file room, trace missing files, and record indexing information on folders;
- Prepare files for closing and long term storage. Maintain records of closed files for storage and retrieval/inventory of all off-site storage;
- Daily pick-up of files;
- Copy, scan or fax records upon request using photocopier, scanner and/or fax machine;
- Maintain inventory of office supplies in support of file room operations. Notify appropriate personnel regarding supply needs in a timely fashion to ensure adequate supplies are on hand;
- Move offices and workstations as needed; and,
- Assist attorneys and secretaries with projects as time permits.
- Orientation of new employees;
- Sort and deliver incoming faxes;
- Copy and Scan jobs including, if necessary, outsourcing jobs to meet deadlines;
- Inventory soda – check supplies weekly;
- Inventory coffee – check supplies weekly;
- Inventory kitchen supplies – check supplies weekly;
- Stock kitchen, minor clean up, including loading of soda/juice in the refrigerator;
- Sort and deliver mail;
- Deliver docs/books, etc. to other Klinedinst locations;
- Process Fed Ex, UPS and other shipments;
- Inventory, order and stock general supplies, including copier parts and printer toner (also stock secondary copy center, if applicable);
- Operate mail machine. Responsible for dropping mail at the end of each day;
- Copy/Scan/distribute Daily Journals;
- Move/lift boxes (25-50 lbs.) on daily basis with the use of a dolly or hand truck;
- Flexibility re: specialty projects for Marketing Department and/or Attorneys;
- Receive pre-bills, distribute, and when returned to production, return to Accounting;
- Bates Stamp documents and exhibits, and manipulate electronic documents (break-up, combine, etc.) with Adobe Acrobat;
- Set up offices for new employees as soon as they are available;
- Duplicate DVD’s and CD’s;
- Maintain Library resources;
- Ensure all production equipment (copiers, postage machine, fax machines, etc.) are properly maintained by placing service calls and maintaining the internal service log;
- Assist with the setup and cleaning of conference rooms; and
- Keep records of billable production supplies used and create copy center job invoices.
- Obtain caller names, arrange appointments with person called upon, and answer inquires;
- Operate telephone system console to receive calls and incoming messages;
- Use electronic mail system and/or phone system to send messages and information to Firm members;
- Generate e-mails to appropriate parties of employees calling in late or absent;
- Report any problems with air conditioning, light bulb replacement maintenance, etc. to management office;
- Coordinate conference room schedule with LA Reception;
- Collect and distribute mail and messages delivered to the reception area;
- Log in on courier receipt log all deliveries from courier services as well as hand-delivered services to Attorneys;
- Issue and keep records of parking validations;
- Enter monthly expenses of parking and faxes into Juris;
- Coordinate checks with accounting and maintain check register;
- Aid Marketing and Human Resources with social functions, as needed;
- Maintain a professional and neat appearance, both personally and in reception area;
- Notify Attorneys, Secretaries and Production of Back Up Buddies;
- Perform a variety of clerical duties as required;
- Notify Attorneys of calendaring changes when his/her Secretary/Legal Assistant is out either via email or via phone;
- Assist in training new employees regarding reception;
- Prepare packing slips for interoffice mail; and,
- Greet Klinedinst clients, insurance adjusters, vendors, public, etc., and Klinedinst employees from other offices, and send emails regarding visitors.
MISC. OFFICE SERVICES
- Backup facilities items, such as minor installs, hanging of pictures and office moves, as well as other tasks assigned;
- Assist IT Dept. as needed;
- Coordinate with the Management Team and Supervisors to assist with the organization of procedure binders for various departments;
- Assist with all other operations tasks as assigned by HR/Operations and the Management Team; and,
- Book travel arrangements for the Firm and communicate with Accounting
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months’ related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Type 50+ wpm. The ability to recognize and understand the legal context of a wide variety of legal documents in order to ensure fast, accurate filing and retrieval will be expected within the first 30 days of employment. Excellent verbal communication and customer service skills.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10s and 100s. Ability to perform these operations using units of time, American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to handle and sort file records. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, and talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
For your personal safety, we ask that you wear closed-toe shoes while working in the Records and Production departments. The position requires that you work with boxes, heavy files, heavy documents, and sometimes equipment that creates the possibility of dropping something on your feet. Therefore, we want to ensure your safety. You may wear shoes that are more fashionable to and from the office, as long as you do not wear them while working in these departments.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you are looking for the opportunity to be a part of our Santa Ana office, please submit your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. Recruiters need not apply.