As an experienced litigator and trial attorney, Carey L. Cooper works closely with our business clients to achieve their individualized goals. She represents a variety of clients in business, product liability, professional liability, and environmental litigation. Ms. Cooper also has extensive experience defending environmental professionals in mediation and at trial. She has a wealth of litigation experience involving product liability, commercial litigation, industrial equipment, land use, and toxic torts.
Ms. Cooper is the recipient of the AV®-Preeminent™ peer review rating by Martindale-Hubbell. From 2015-2018, she has been featured in San Diego Super Lawyers® based on independent research, peer nominations, and peer evaluations. The San Diego Business Journal profiled Ms. Cooper in 2014 and 2015 as one of its Best of the Bar, having previously featured her as a nominee in its “Women Who Mean Business.” In 2007, the San Diego Daily Transcript recognized her as a Top Attorney in real estate litigation in San Diego County, and Ms. Cooper has achieved a top “Superb” ranking on Avvo.com.
Ms. Cooper has served as Managing Shareholder of the San Diego office, as well as Chief Operating Officer of the firm, and Chair of the Product Liability and Environmental Practice Groups. She graduated cum laude from California State University, Northridge before attending Washington & Lee University School of Law, where she also graduated cum laude. Ms. Cooper has participated in numerous legal seminars, has published several articles, and has been recognized with a variety of awards.
- California State University, Northridge (B.A., cum laude, 1993)
- Washington & Lee University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1997)
Appellate and Administrative Decisions
- Del Cerro Action Council v. Board of Trustees of California State University, 2008 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 1334 (Cal. App. 4th Dist. 2008) – Served as Petitioner and Respondent’s counsel, securing and upholding $96,000 award of attorneys’ fees and costs
- In re: Request for Review of UST Claim No. 081647, 2008 – Served as counsel for a UST applicant in this administrative appeal, whereby the State agreed to reverse its initial decision denying the applicant up to $1.5 million in State funds for a contaminated site
- Grinham v. Fielder, 99 Cal. App. 4th 1049 June 24, 2002 – Served as Defense Counsel in the successful summary judgment proceeding, upheld on appeal